Lawyers are currently investigating lawsuits that have been filed against the manufacturers of the Stockert 3T heater-cooler. They allege that the devices are defective and unreasonably safe. The Stockert 3T is a heater-cooler device that is used to cool a patient’s body temperature and blood during open-heart surgery.
The Stockert 3T device involves using a temperature-control tank. If the water is contaminated, then bacteria can spread. This bacteria can enter the person’s chest, which can cause an infection. Every year, 250,000 people undergo open-heart surgery. The Stockert 3T is used during 60 percent of these procedures.
It can be difficult to treat non-tuberculosis mycobacteria, or NTM, infections. That is why they have a 50 percent mortality rate. However, it can take up to four years for a person to develop an infection after being exposed to the bacteria.
Why Should I FIle a Lawsuit?
The FDA has stated that the Stockert 3T is linked to many of the infections that occur after open-heart surgery. It can be expensive to treat this condition. Air filters are designed to capture the bacteria. However, many air filters are not able to do this.
Real Life Stories
Karen Austin and Phillip Lamar West
Karen Austin and Phillip Lamar West live in South Carolina. They both underwent open-heart surgery in 2016. However, Phillip’s surgeon used the Stockert 3T. He developed a rash and swelling after surgery. He went to the doctor and found out that he had the NTM infection. He was in and out the hospital for months.
Rebecca and Vincent Karst
Rebecca sued LiveNova, which is one of the manufacturers of Stockert 3T, after her husband developed the NTM infection six months after having open-heart surgery. The infection is being treated with medication, but Vincent is experiencing side effects due to the medication.
Wendy Woods and David Inners
David Inners underwent open-heart surgery in December 2014. He started to feel sick in May 2015. He developed a fever and suffered from fatigue. The doctors performed tests, but they still could not figure out what was causing the infection. He died in June 2015. The doctors later found out that his death was caused by the NTM infection.